Related Posts with Thumbnails

Childcare as education

Recently a spokeswoman for one of Australia's largest political parties argued that "Governments should treat childcare as an educational right that gives children pre-literacy and pre-numeracy skills and not as welfare for parents" (The Australian, Monday October 23, 2006, page 5).

Labor childcare spokeswoman Tanya Pilbersek said childcare should not be viewed as "parental welfare or a workforce measure". Her statements were made in the context of arguing for greater government funding for childcare.

I find such statements frustrating because of their implications. There is nothing wrong with attempting to make childcare educational. If a child must be sent to an institution for many hours each day, I would hope that institution would impart something more than babysitting.

What I object to is that if Tanya Pilbersek's ideas become pervasive childcare will soon be viewed as a necessity for all children. Pilbersek argues that childcare "prepares them for school, and gives them the confidence to make friends and learn new skills."

I am sure that amongst some groups in society childcare is already seen as a necessary part of the development of healthy children. Such attitudes ignore the strong evidence that long hours of daycare in institutions negatively impacts upon children's development.

It is one thing to desire to provide quality care for those children who must be separated from their parents for many hours at a young age. It is another to advocate this separation as a necessary part of childhood. If Pilbersek's ideas become pervasive, full time motherhood will be seen as even more unnecessary. After all, couldn't the "experts" at the local childcare center do a better job at preparing the children for life than their own mother?

Faith  – (July 24, 2007 at 7:09 AM)  

Saw your blog and just had to comment! Good articles. This one though....let me explain. In my area (NYS) "child development centers" are a bit different from daycare centers. CDC's are usually divided into classrooms per age (preschool, prek, k) and include special needs children taught by special educators (I am one). The curriculum is usually play-based and written with age appropriate developmental milestones in mind. DayCare Centers are usually just that: some are licensed and excellent and some are places to put your little one if mommy and daddy are working or if a woman is a single mom and must work. Child Development Centers usually have certified teachers in the classroom whereas many daycare centers to not hire certified teachers. I have worked full time as a newlywed, full time with a 1 year old who thrived in a daycare classroom at the child dev. center where i taught special ed prek. I only worked full time for one year as the Lord put it on my heart to stay home with her until she got to 1st grade. I was blessed to have a husband who works hard and earns enough that we don't "need" a 2nd income. When my 2nd daughter was born (and my last), I taught part time in ministry just 2 days a week at a crisis pregnancy center. My oldest was in school and my youngest was in a "home day care"' with 3 other children run by a personal Christian friend of mine. Both of my daughters are on the high honor roll and I know some of that is because of the great early childhood education they received.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP