Related Posts with Thumbnails

Haystacks

My friend Shiloh asked what haystacks were in the context of food, since I listed them as part of Week 2 of my sample menu plan. Haystacks are corn chips with different toppings on them. Usually, many bowls are set up along a counter. The first bowl will contain corn chips. The second will contain beans or mince with tomato, which is one of the main things to put on the haystack. There is usually also shredded lettuce, chopped fresh tomato, perhaps some beetroot, olives, grated carrot, spring onion, or whatever else takes your fancy! To finish off, you put cheese on the top. I have never actually made this, but I've had it several times at other people's houses, and it looks easy enough. It seems like an easy thing to have when guests come over.

deb  – (May 18, 2007 at 10:04 PM)  

Sherrin, I have heard of Haystacks, but your version is different than the sweetdessert version I think of when I hear "haystacks." I think I will have to try yours!

The Haystacks I've made are with Chinese noodles, peanuts, and melted caramels (I think) all mixed together and small amounts plopped out on wax paper to dry into little haystacks. They are yummy.

Terri  – (May 19, 2007 at 5:13 AM)  

How interesting! Here in the states, haystacks are a cookie-type desset made with Chinese noodles and melted butterscotch.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP