Related Posts with Thumbnails

Getting Serious About Getting Married: Part 3

If you would like some context for this book review, please read parts 1 and 2 which are included under my books category.

Getting Serious About Getting Married: Rethinking the Gift of Singleness reinforced my feeling that Christians should not glibly suggest to people that they are called to be single all their lives, as they commonly do. Such glib references to a lifetime alone fail to recognise the gravity of this outcome. Only a culture as individualistic as our own could refer to the loss of companionship and children without a sense of gravity. They are also suggesting a lifetime without sex. This is also no small thing, as Debbie Maken so ably points out. What they are suggesting is a lifetime of struggling against our God-given sexual natures, with no lawful outlet. I explored this in
part 2 of my review of the book.

Stories about person x who got married at 50 are also unhelpful. Such stories glibly skim over all that is lost through such a late marriage. Those who marry late forgo the gift of children, for a start. It is unsurprising that worldly people who do not consider children to be important would overlook this, but Christians who value the Bible’s teaching about children should not consider the loss of them a small thing. Suggesting that people who never have their own children can make up for it by volunteering in the church nursery is offensive and ridiculous in the extreme. Sometimes God chooses that people will not have children, but this is a matter for grief and not for suggestions of Sunday School teaching. Christians need to re-learn the concept of “weep with those who weep”. Yes, it is helpful to serve in the church. Singles and childless people should look for such outlets. However, there should be no pretense that this can take up the place one’s own children would have.

While I am grateful that Getting Serious About Getting Married raised these kinds of issues, and critiqued common tendencies to trivialise singleness, I also have some concerns with the approach that was taken. While it is important not to gloss over the losses prolonged singleness brings, it is also important to encourage people to live happy and contented lives as singles and to make the best of a less than ideal situation. I would not give this book to some friends. Debbie Maken is perhaps too sympathetic with discontent singles. The approach she takes may fuel discontent in young women.

Due to this concern, I cannot quite agree with Albert Mohler that “This book should be a must-read for all Christian young adults – and all who love them.” It is a must-read for mature Christians, but perhaps not for those who would be unable to place it in its appropriate Biblical context. It should, at the least, help Christians to re-think their ungodly responses to singleness. Too often, Christian responses to singleness resemble the ugliness described in Proverbs 25:20. “Like one who takes away a garment in cold weather, And like vinegar on soda, Is one who sings songs to a heavy heart.” Christians need to stop singing songs to heavy hearts, and admit that in most cases prolonged singleness is not good. It was not good at the beginning of creation, and it is not good now.

The Borg –   – (May 22, 2007 at 2:04 PM)  

Good review Sherrin.

Yes, we do need to stop singing songs to heavy hearts.

aus_chick  – (May 23, 2007 at 12:15 AM)  

Marriage is a gift, just as singleness is, but I wouldn't go as far as to suggest that one is better than another. Take Paul for example - one could never suggest that his singleness was a "less than ideal" situation. Sure, he wasn't "fruitful and multiplying" in terms of his own offspring, but the command "be fruitful and multiple" doesn't just refer to making babies - it is also a command to make disciples.

I too, feel for those who get married late in life and are unable to have their own biological children. I have many friends who are in this life stage (both married and single). In many instances, these friends invest spiritually in the lives of their nephews, nieces, and other children within our church. Of course, they want their own kids, and the option of adoption may be opened to them.

While marriage is something that most Christians will aspire to, the priority is our relationship with God. This is something that is "easier" to foster during singleness, but gets a lot harder as you get married, and even more so when kids arrive on the scene.

Sherrin  – (May 23, 2007 at 10:28 AM)  

Hi Shiloh! I am glad you enjoyed the review.

Hi Natasha, your comment relates to topics I covered in part 1 of this review. This book argues that singleness is only a good thing if you have the gift of celibacy. It makes a differentiation between a state of singleness and a gift of celibacy. For those that don't have the gift of celibacy, which is most of us, prolonged singleness is not ideal. Paul clearly communicated that he had a special gift.

You are right that our relationship with God is the priority. In any life situation, we must be God-focused and that will help us to deal with the particular difficulties of that situation.However, I disagree that stages of life apart from singleness make it harder to have this relationship with God. If building this relationship is defined as spending a lot of quiet time alone with God, yes it would be harder. If it is defined as learning to put into action loving and trusting God and developing the fruits of the spirit, marriage and child bearing may well provide more opportunities for growth. In addition, husbands and wives can share the word together and pray and this can lead to deeper understanding than would happen alone.

Lydia  – (May 23, 2007 at 12:15 PM)  

Sherrin, I think you hit the nail squarely on the head with this review. I appreciated your cautions at the end about not giving it to just any single person.

Frankly, I was shocked by Maken's handling of the issue of contentment for singles in chapter 8. I think she needs to look deeper into what the Bible truly says about contentment and how it is manifested. It is NOT based on our own ideal circumstances. That is for sure.

I am still slowly formulating my own thoughts about the book. My review has become so lengthy that I will probably have to make it a three-part series. I would appreciate your prayers for me as I write it. I think there are some definite errors in this book that need addressed from Scripture.

I did take away some good things from the book but I would no way go buy a copy for each of my single friends.

I appreciated how you stated it would be, "a must-read for mature Christians" to read. I have to admit that initially after my first reading I became angry towards many single men who seem to be unnecessarily prolonging marriage. Not exactly a proper Christian attitude toward others.

All that to say, you have given us a wise and thorough review. I have enjoyed reading your thoughts.

God bless,
Lydia

Sherrin  – (May 24, 2007 at 11:58 AM)  

Reading over my last comment, I realise my explanation of our relationship with God in different stags of life was not very well worded. Sorry about that! I hope you can still get the basic idea of what I am trying to say: our relationship with God is not necessarily defined by how much time we have to pray and read the Bible alone. Rather, it is defined by trusting God and putting his commands into action.

Lydia, thanks for explaining further your thoughts on the book. You have raised some very important concerns. I agree with you that this book can tend to lead to anger rather than to godly attitudes.

It is a shame that in attempting to counter error, Maken has fallen into other errors! Perhaps someone will write a book soon which does not fall into any major errors and we can wholeheartedly recommend it to others!

I am praying for you.

Lydia  – (May 27, 2007 at 2:52 AM)  

Hi Sherrin,

I just wanted to let you know that I posted the first part of my review for Maken's book. Feel free to leave your comments.

Hope all is coming along well for the wedding! I am looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your plans in the future.

Thanks for praying for me. I certainly need lots of that!

~Lydia

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP