Related Posts with Thumbnails

The power of stories

My friend Phil posted a thoughtful, insightful comment on my last post Kids, social problems, and government control.

I wanted all my readers to benefit from Phil's comment, so I've made it into a post of its own. I recently read the story of Amnon and Tamar again. It is helpful to read these lessons I can glean from it, rather than just thinking "yuck, I'd forgotten how gross this story is"! There is a reason for every story in the Bible. They are all important teaching tools. The Bible frankly presents the reality of sin, but always with the intent to lead us to what is good. Here's what Phil wrote about stories:



I agree. Stories are so important! Stories shape us. They teach us values, inspire us, motivate us, restrain us...

How blessed we are if it is God's story that shapes our lives.

In many ways the themes dealt with are not that much different: sex, death, rape, witchcraft, violence, war, greed... The difference is that they are put into their proper truthful perspective and related to the greatest reality Himself, God.

Take for example one of the old testament's most R-rated stories, that of Amnon & Tamar. Is this a story for children? Absolutely. What a powerful lesson on the deceitfulness of lust! Whereas before the incident he was sick with love/lust, afterward it says, "Then Amnon hated her with intense hatred. In fact, he hated her more than he had loved her." As for Tamar herself, she became a desolate woman. The story unblushingly & honestly shows the devastation and destruction brought about by Amnon's sin.

It seems to me that the stories most children (and adults) are exposed to today teach lies (e.g. that immorality is a good and normal way of life)instead of promoting the truth. They often fail to show the true consequences of our actions.

I agree that it is a parental responsibility to be discerning about the stories children are exposed to. However, wherever possible I would also want to support a government which reflected biblical standards.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP