Related Posts with Thumbnails

Food in the USA

After I wrote my post The dark side of travel I started thinking about the food I ate when I was in the USA. Although I wrote very negatively of travel food, it was mainly meant to be a joke :)!! I enjoyed nearly every meal I had in the USA. Most of the food I ate was home cooked, which I don't think is the norm in the USA where people eat out a lot more than we do here.

One of the highlights of the USA culinary experience was being offered iced tea everywhere I went. I visited in the heat of summer, which explains why it was a popular drink. I had never heard of iced tea before! I spent my whole time in the south. Is iced tea a particularly southern emphasis, or is it just as prevalant in the north?

I also ate more mexican food than I ever have before or since! Another memorable culinary experience was a dessert night I attended for a birthday party. I also went out to someone's home for a 4th of July dinner. I think we ate watermelon, the "right" thing to eat on July 4. Of course, we also drank iced tea!

In the USA, it was kind of comforting to see the familiar eating chains that we have here. I bought Subway at the airport in LA, shortly after setting foot on USA soil for the first time, and it was like I had something from home to hold onto!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP