Related Posts with Thumbnails

Orange Muffin Delight

This is my favourite muffin recipe. It seems to be popular with those who eat it too. My Aunty Val said they were the best muffins she had ever eaten. Since then I have given her several more containers of them, so I hope she still feels that way. The recipe makes a lot, so it is ideal for a family or a social gathering. I received this recipe from friends in Virginia, who included it in a family magazine they used to make (called Sophia). I am reminded of the enjoyment and refreshment their magazine brought, each time I make this recipe!

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cup oat bran (or ground oats)
3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup flaxseed (I blend this so it is not so sharp!)
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
2tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups shredded carrot
2 cups copped Granny Smith apple
1 cup raisins
1 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large egg whites (or 2 eggs)
1 thin-skinned orange (cut into quarters with peel still on)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Combine the flours (do not pack) and the next 7 ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in carrot, apple, and raisins. In a blender or food processor combine the milk, oil, vanilla, egg whites, and whole orange (peel and all). Blend until smooth. Add to flour mixture and stir until just moist.

Bake for 20 minutes or until done, then remove to wire racks immediately. Yields 28 muffins.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP