Related Posts with Thumbnails

My quilt

It was exciting to complete my quilt top last weekend. I began it soon after completing my Bachelor of Arts last year. Exam time was a real struggle. My escape was to get books out from the library about patchwork, which I let myself read or glance in between huge amounts of study. It was not sensible to begin a new hobby, especially with several unfinished projects around the house. My heart is not sensible though, and it was set on making a quilt! I chose an autumn theme, because I love that season. I began when autumn leaves were still on one of our trees. I took the leaves and traced around them to make templates.


I have now completed the patchwork part of it, and hope to being quilting soon. First I have to work out the process of pinning the layers together. I am planning to hand quilt leaves onto it, so the work is no where near finished yet!


Each large block has a scripture verse or two sewn on, and each tiny leaf block has an attribute or name of God. The tiny leaves are from the same tree in Spring.

Creating this has made me think about how much harder it would have been for women pre-sewing machines. I realise how hard they worked more fully now.

In between making the quilt top, I have even completed one of my unfinished projects! This one had been left since I was homeschooled - pre 1997. Esther's Birthday was the inspiration to complete "Tilly Bear".

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP