Related Posts with Thumbnails

Gods and Generals

I recently arrived home from my friends the Downes' where I watched a DVD I have wanted to see for two and a half years, since hearing about it while visiting the USA. Gods and Generals fulfilled all the expectations I had of it after hearing others' recommendations.

I have had a fascination with US history since visiting there, and the Civil War particularly interests me. So watching nearly four hours about it was no chore. This movie is tragic in the extreme, but I also found it strangely comforting. The Civil War is deeply complex, and still arouses strong regional loyalties. I have read books and websites about it, and had numerous conversations. While most people assume it was all about slavery, that was not an issue until half way through. Nor are charicatures of southerners as racists and northerners as liberators accurate. General Grant, commander of the Union forces, held slaves throughout the war. Lincoln was a racist who wanted to send all the Africans back to their country. Southern General Robert E. Lee wrote "So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interests ofthe South. So fully am I satisfied of this, as regards Virginia especially, that I would cheerfully have lost all I have by the war, and have suffered all I have suffered, to have this object attained." Lee had freed his slaves before the war.

The reason I find this movie comforting is not becuase it gives answers to the complexities that underlie the war. It does not, although it does clearly show why both sides fought. Southerners felt strong regional loyalties to their states, believed they had a right to leave the union, and felt it their duty to fight for their "country" which was being invaded. Northerners wanted to preserve the union through forcing the south to remain part of it. Later on, some fought to abolish slavery.

I find this movie comforting becuase it portrays the deep faith of southern commanders in God's will. The war was surely his will, and so was its outcome. The movie focused on southern commander Stonewall Jackson, and his trust in God's providence. He trusted God for the timing and place of his death. My favourite quote is "Duty is ours, the consequences are God's".

I shed only a single tear during the whole movie: in Stonewall Jackson's death scene, where he spoke of crossing the river to be at rest. I trust that some day we will see him there.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP