Related Posts with Thumbnails

Bible Memory - A Joy

Yvonne wrote in the comments section of my “Bible Memory” post:

"As always you have inspired me to get into bible memorisation again -it is actually a joy to do it with a favourite piece of the bible. I've started on psalm 103, one of my favourites.... I think it's a lot easier with passages that are already familiar. I'd love to have more scripture floating through my mind throughout the day!"

I recommend putting into action Yvonne’s tip for making Bible memorisation a joy. If you have a part of the Bible that is particularly relevant to your life at this time, or that “jumps” out at you as you read and seems alive to your heart in a special way, start memorising that.

This was one reason I began Psalm 37. When I looked at the way damaging agendas were achieving victories in politics, education, the family, and other areas, it worried me. Psalm 37 reminded me that such victories are short lived, because ultimately all the agendas of those who oppose God will come to nothing. This Psalm also repeated several times that God’s people were not to fret when evil seemed to triumph. How meaningful that was to my worried heart! This Psalm continues to be a comfort to me as I face current events.

As you begin committing scripture to memory, you will likely find it such a joy that you will long to memorise more! That is what happened to me. Now when I read the Bible I am always coming across passages I would love to have available in my mind at any moment.

A key to making Bible memory a joy is review. If you do not review the scriptures you have learnt, you will forget them. Then you may become discouraged. However, if you review them you are continually encouraged as you realise how you have progressed in memorising. This is why I find the system of cards with the verse reference on one side and the verses on the other to be helpful. I can look at the reference, review the passage in my mind, then flip over the card to see if I have remembered it correctly.

Ultimately, however, only God can make His word a joy. Pray, as you memorise, that the Holy Spirit will do this for you.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP