Related Posts with Thumbnails

The last shall be first

I am still sick, but today has been my best day since I came down with the virus on Sunday. God willing, I'll be back to work next week.

Susan's post on her experiences volunteering at a Vacation Bible School was fun to read. They reminded me of my experiences working with little children! Susan wrote:

"Isn't it amazing how selfish little girls can be, though? My crew was very well-behaved, but all (except one) of them were so self-centered! They each wanted to be the first in line, etc., and if they did something "good" they wanted everyone to know!"

I became tired of the children I work with trying to be first in line, especially one little girl. So one day after sport I told them that Jesus said "The last shall be first, and the first shall be last". I made them repeat it after me as we stood in line on the oval. I didn't quite know how to explain the meaning of it, but I was desperate!

They all still remember the verse, and know that it means we should not try to be first. They even quote it to each other. However, the little girl it was particularly addressed toward had a unique interpretation. One day she told me that "I picked up my drink bottle last, so that means I can be first in line now."

Susan also has some good discussion about teaching the gospel to children. I feel most inadequate at this, but I do believe their understanding has improved over the year. I try to talk to them often about how we have all done wrong things, and we all need to trust that Jesus died for our sins if we want to go to heaven.

Here are some more pictures of our crafts. Even while we do crafts, we talk about the Bible and God. Discussions about God are a natural part of our conversation together.



I made the anthill out of scrunched up newspaper with tissue paper over the top. Innovative, don't you think?

Another one of our creative displays . . .


This week I had planned to make hampsters, with wool for hair. The things you miss when you are sick :(. We'll have to do it next week.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP