Related Posts with Thumbnails

Good Reasons to Hesitate


On Friday 24 February, I wrote about how I question my motives for not speaking when truth is at stake. Two of my Bible memory verses give good reasons for hesitating to speak:


The beginning of strife is like releasing water;
Therefore stop contention before a quarrel starts.
Proverbs 17:14

Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world
Philippians 2: 14-15

Some disputes are pointless and fruitless. We are called to avoid those. There is a difference between stating the truth, and pushing the truth so that you end up in an argument.

Sometimes in discussions with Christians I am coming from such a different perspective or knowledge base to those I am trying to communicate with, it feels like fog surrounds us. This is especially so in areas like politics, education, or entertainment. This “fog” can lead to frustration, distress, or anger in my heart. I do not want to discuss issues like this unless I can do so peacefully and without sin.

Another reason I hesitate is that in the past I have held views strongly, and spoken them, later to have the Holy Spirit show me through God’s word that I was wrong. Before I speak strongly, I need to be sure truth not error is being presented.

I also recognise how long it has taken me to come to some of the positions I now hold. I cannot expect others to instantly agree with ideas that used to shock me! Often one small statement is enough to get someone thinking. People progress in ideas and beliefs through small and gradual steps.


Charlotte Mason expresses something of what I am saying:

That which has become the dominant idea of one person’s life, if it be launched suddenly at another, coveys no very great depth of weight of meaning to the second person – he wants to get at it by degrees, to see the steps by which the other has travelled.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP