Related Posts with Thumbnails

Favourite Times

Prayer times are my favourite parts of the day at school. First thing in the morning, about 8:30am, there is a staff prayer time. It is an enourmous privilege to work at a school where God's character and word are trusted, where he is praised, and where the many difficulties encountered at school can be brought before him. Prayer times with the children are just as enjoyable. It is encouraging to see their enthusiasm for praying. When I ask who would like to pray, it is common for everyone to put up their hands. Here are some excerpts from the prayers which I have particularly enjoyed.

"Please forgive my sins, and B____'s sins, and J'____'s sins, and E____'s sins [all fellow class members] and even Miss War's sins."

Following a story about the garden of Eden, the fall and Satan's role in it, and the cross, the children seemed deeply impressed with the reality of Satan. A few days later, one prayed:

"Please Lord, take care of everyone, except please Lord don't take care of Satan, or of Satan's group."

Then another prayed:

"Don't take care of Satan's group, and don't let Satan be part of our group."

For about two weeks now, one of the children who is from a pentecostal background has been praying:

"Holy Spirit in my heart, Holy Spirit in my friend's hearts, Holy Spirit in my family's hearts, Holy Spirit all over me."

On Wednesday, she added to this "You give us power, power, power." She said this with great fervour, and rose out of her chair, adding "You can heal people".

I had to put my hand over my mouth to hide the fact that I was trying not to laugh! One of the other children did laugh, and the child who prayed felt hurt. I am so glad I managed to contain myself so that she did not notice me laughing!

To top it off, another child prayed right after her and said:

"Thank you Lord that you come down when we die, and take us up to play with you. You play with us. You love children, I know you love children."

Sometimes the children's prayers remind me that I need to teach more about who God is. I am also conscious of the need to find a way to teach the reality of the Trinity clearly - not to explain the mystery (who can!) but to help them understand that we serve one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I was reminded of this when I told the children Jesus is God, and one said "I thought there was Jesus, and then there was God." I said "No, Jesus is God" and she seemed to accept that.

It is a privilege to share the love of God with these children, and to hear their prayers. I am grateful to have work I believe is valuable. Reading is one of my passions. I see how much it can help people, and find it meaningful to pass on these skills. My work has reminded me of how hard it must have been to gain reading skills, even though I do not remember the process, and makes me all the more grateful for them. My job would feel significant even if it was just about passing on reading skills. It is even more meaningful because I am free to pass on a greater love, and to point the children to One who can fulfill greater needs. It is not only a privilege, it is a reponsibility that I do not take lightly.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP