Related Posts with Thumbnails

Enjoying the North

I have only spent one weekend in Launceston so far, but I made the most of it! I went to two churches, had a great time catching up with friends who live in Launceston, and went sight seeing!

I enjoyed Trevallyn Dam at sunset . . .




I went to City Park on a hot summer day, to look at the Japanese monkeys, beautiful trees and flowers, and monuments. This monument is for those who died in the Boer War. It has "For Throne and Empire" on one side, sentiments that seem nonexistent in 2006!


I visited the museum to see an exhibit of 19th century paintings of Australian homes. While there, I also enjoyed seeing other early Australian paintings. It was encouraging to see portraits of protestant preachers, a Baptist and a Methodist, who were noted for their evangelical zeal.



I saved the best for last! This was so good, I had to post lots of pictures about it! On Monday I visited Woolmers Estate, where the first buildings were built in 1819. Following that, six generations of Thomas Archers inhabited the home. The last Thomas Archer was a bachelor, and when he died he left it to the Archer Historical Foundation.




Inside much of the house we were not allowed to take photos, due to the many valuable paintings contained there. It is basically the same as it was in the 1840s, as the front rooms were used only for entertaining. Later generations did not use the rooms, but kept them as they had been. They are wonderful! The family had their own crest, and a motto in French which is translated as "The end crowns the work". In this family's case, the first Thomas Archer seemed to do nearly all the work (with the help of scores of servants) while subsequent generations enjoyed the proceeds and lived a life of sailing, golfing, and general loafing!



The grounds were amazing. The stables are above. Below are some of the cottages, and a barn.



The grounds of Woolmers are also the location of the National Rose Garden. To stand and overlook the roses, mountains, and buildings on a sunny autumn day is a wonderful experience.



I enjoyed this place more than any other I have visited since I went to Williamsburg in Virginia. Anyone who has heard me rave about Williamsburg will know what a compliment that is!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP