Related Posts with Thumbnails

Spinach and cheese pies

This is a recipe I use frequently. Mum grows silver beet in the garden, and so we substitute that for spinach. The recipe is not specific about the amount of spinach to use. It just says "1 bunch" which could mean anything! I tend to use a lot, so I often end up with many more pies than the recipe says I will! Originally when I made this recipe I used the homemade dough they suggested. However, along with the preparation of the filling this left me tired. So now I use frozen puff pastry, which works just as well. I will not include the dough recipe here, but if you do want it just ask me for it in the comments section.

Here is the recipe!

1 tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bunch spinach, washed, shredded
4 green onions (otherwise known as spring onions), thinly sliced
250g fresh ricotta cheese (if you have extra spinach you may also need extra cheese)
100g feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup pine nuts (yum!)
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Frozen puff pastry. The amount you need depends upon how much spinach you use! You will need at least two sheets. I often use five.

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius. Take frozen pastry out of the freezer to thaw. Melt butter in a frying pan over high heat. Add garlic and spinach. Cook, stirring, for 30 to 60 seconds or until spinach just wilts. Transfer to a bowl. Add onions, ricotta, feta, pine nuts, breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.

2. Cut each piece of puff pastry in half. Place filling on each piece. Fold the ends of the pastry over the filling on each of the four sides, and press the edges of the pastry together. You will be left with a gap in the middle that shows the filling. I think a photo of this may be necessary and I will try and do one soon. These are flat rectangular pies, not round ones. However, it doesn't really matter what shape you choose. You could even choose to make large pies that need to be cut up to serve, rather than individual pies. You could do this by placing a lot of filling in a whole piece of puff pastry, and folding up the sides in a pleat-like way. The point is that the filling is delicious! What you do with the pastry doesn't matter as much.

3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned. The recipe suggests that you serve it with lemon wedges. I have never done this, but it could be a nice touch.

The Borg –   – (February 17, 2007 at 3:37 PM)  

Spinach and cheese pies are teh best foods everest!

ineedtoread  – (February 19, 2007 at 12:19 PM)  

I LOVE spinach&cheese stuff!!! Thanks for that. If you highly recommend the pastry, I would love the recipe. But only IF! My e-mail address is on my blog if you prefer to e-mail over posting.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP