Related Posts with Thumbnails

Activities to do with an 18 month to 2 year old


Being a new Mum, I have found it a challenge to think of things to do with my little boy. 18 months to 2 years is a period when many activities are beyond their ability or require assistance. At times Elnathan does well on his own with cars, duplo and books. This is a little list I have made to jog my memory when I am trying to think of something to do with him. I have also made a box of activities so I can get one out for him.
  • Instruments - every morning we sing praise songs and use our instruments. On his own Elnathan quickly loses interest.
  • Balls - I want to start doing this daily to develop ball skills.
  • Stories  - this is an obvious one that we do several times each day!
  • Puzzles - he loves simple wooden puzzles.
  • Crayons - Nate is only just starting to be able to use these on his own . . . but having said that, I caught him eating one this morning!
  • Playdough - definitely a supervised activity as it goes straight in the mouth.
  • Block towers and patterns - it is amazing what you can teach with blocks! For example, four small green square blocks make a big green square. 
  • Memory Verses
I am aiming to enjoy this stage rather than wishing Nate would turn 3 when he will be able to do so much more on his own and with me. 

What about you? Do you have any ideas for activities to do with babies aged between 18 months and 2 years?

Posted by Picasa

Faith  – (March 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM)  

I have lots of ideas Sherrin! I used to teach special needs prek children and had a newsletter for parents called Child's Play ((I used to feature it on my blog too but took it off as my own became older). One thing children your son's age love is playing with "tactile" things like shaving cream on a large cookie tray. simply add the kinds of toys you might add to playdough. I also have a homemade playdough recipe that is excellent (and smells good too) that is much nicer than the store bought kind. I can inbox you tomorrow with it. I must get off computer soon to do devotions with my 12 yr old before she heads to bed. Also, toddlers love playing with pasta (uncooked, any shapes). Place in a dishpan or other bin, add cars, spoons, cups, fisher price people, etc. They LOVE to pour out and fill up at this age. They also love water play (add bubbles to make it fun or food coloring to reinforce learning colors). they love balls (rolling back and forth) or things like shape sorters, large wooden puzzles, stringing large beads or the large buttons....finger paints, edible playdough (pudding).....I'll inbox you the homemade playdough...it lasts long time if placed in a rubbermaid container and is nice and soft. As i used to tell the parents of my students and the parents at the pregnancy center "Play is a Child's Work and a Child's Work is His play". have fun!!!!!

Sherrin  – (March 18, 2011 at 2:10 PM)  

I love your enthusiasm for the little ones, Faith! Thank you! I am not up to making homemade playdough just yet, but I would like to when they are a little older. Nate does LOVE his shapesorter. I will try him with pasta . . . I tried rice and he tried to eat it!! I would like to try the shaving cream idea when one of Nate's little friends comes over :). Look forward to your email (my address is sherrindrewATgmail.com)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP