Related Posts with Thumbnails

The end of an enjoyable chapter


Today marks the end of a chapter of my life that I look back on with gratitude and enjoyment. Today I handed in my last assignment for the Wesley Institute Diploma of Education. I highly recommend this course to anyone considering teaching. The thorough biblical basis to each unit, coverage of many helpful teaching resources, practical assignments, and substantial amount of classroom experience make it a winner. It hasn't always been easy, and sometimes I may have looked like the picture above, but it has been good!

When I began this course at the beginning of 2007, I did not know that I would be married by the end of that year and a mother to an unborn child by the end of the next! I began it knowing that I might be a wife and a mother, or a classroom teacher, or I might have to try and combine both. In any of these scenarios, the Diploma would be of use. Unlike former study, I had a clear interest and vocation in mind. I don't know if I'll ever work in the profession this course qualifies me for, classroom Primary Teaching. I do know that I've gained valuable experience, good memories, and lots of knowledge for (God willing) home schooling.

Now when people ask me what I do with my days, I'll have to say (with a smile) "I'm a housewife". Yep, I've gone back about 100 years and believe that being a wife and running a home well is a job in itself. Being a truly productive housewife requires planning, dedication, prioritisation, research and creativity. I'm one of the most blessed women I know, 'cause it is my job.

Emi –   – (December 5, 2008 at 1:48 PM)  

Hi Sherrin,

I have read your blog for some time but never commented, and while I don't always agree with what you write I respect your views and the way you express them. I'm not sure if you remember me but we were in some English classes together at uni, and it has been wonderful to see that you have had so many great things happen in your life since then.

I'm finally commenting because I just read this post and what you said about being a housewife is so encouraging. I got married in March and have been a housewife since then - it was listed as my occupation on our rental application, and it's what I tell people I 'do'. I often get a really negative response, so it was really nice to read your positive thoughts.

I will be looking for paid work next year, though probably only part-time, so that I can continue to make our home feel like a 'home'. That's really important to me, and it's nice to know I'm not alone :)

Emi

Sherrin  – (December 5, 2008 at 2:52 PM)  

Hello Emi,

Thanks for commenting :). It is always fun to hear from people who have read my blog for a while but don't comment.

I am glad you're enjoying being a housewife, and plan to keep on making your house a home! It can be hard when many people don't recognise the importance of this - I've found books a real encouragement. It is wonderful to know that God values what we do at home, but sometimes we need others to remind us as well!

I hope to hear from you again someday :)

love S

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP