Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog posts on the US election I like

I've shared some of my concerns about Evangelical responses to the US election. Now I want to share some blog posts that have seemed sweet and refreshing in comparison. This is not because I agree with all the conclusions of these authors. Rather, it is because they have not dismissed the implications of the Bible for how we make decisions about candidates and voting. They have explored the ways the Bible may apply.

John Piper wrote Why a Woman Shouldn't Run for Vice President but Wise People May Still Vote for Her.

Jasmine Baucham tackled the argument that It's not A Religious Issue.

Jennie Chancey wrote Of Salt Losing Its Savor, and ended with an inspiring call to gospel living.

The Botkin sisters wrote of why We believe Sarah Palin’s example poses a more serious threat to Christian womanhood than more liberal feminist icons such as Hillary Clinton.

If you have come across blog posts you believe are an honest attempt to apply the Bible to the issues brought up in the election campaign, and which you enjoyed, please share them in the comments section.

Lara  – (November 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM)  

Out of curiosity (and you don't have to answer if you feel this is too personal), who would you have voted for in the US election? I'm wondering because the articles you link to give opposing views to an extent - one says "don't vote for McCain/Palin" while another says "it's not a sin to vote for McCain/Palin."

I'm glad I'm not American, because I think this would have been a very difficult election to vote in. I like some things about Sarah Palin (such as the fact that she lives out her pro-life stance), but she seemed rather out of her depth; but I am very concerned by Barack Obama's views on abortion. I think John Piper's article was very interesting, in the way he tried to weigh up the issues and judge the lesser of two evils. I guess that's all we can do, this side of eternity!

P.S. Although I don't always agree with your views, I really appreciate the way you are willing and ready to stand up for what you believe in as true, biblical Christianity. I pray that you can continue, even in the face of opposition!

Ginny  – (November 12, 2008 at 5:29 PM)  

Thanks for sharing these links. There were many heated discussions in our house about the proper role of the Christian faith and politics. Unfortunately, I did not end up voting according to my deep convictions, but allowed myself to be swayed by arguments my family made. Praise God that His grace runs deep.

Sherrin  – (November 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM)  

Hello Lara,

Thanks for your encouragement and prayers. Please pray that I really will live out my blog title, as I so often fall short of it!

I guess I've only thought so much about the US election because I read so many blogs that have seemed to talk about it continually! I haven't, however, considered exactly how I would vote if I had that opportunity. I do know I would have looked into third parties very carefully. They, I believe, may offer opportunities for avoiding the lesser of two evils scenario.

Hello Ginny,

I'm sorry to hear that this election brought tension in your household. It is so hard, at times, to love others and give them the space they need when feelings get very passionate!

"Praise God that His grace runs deep." -- Amen!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP