Related Posts with Thumbnails

Zucchini Pickle Recipe



This week I made our first lot of Zucchini Pickle for the year. I have been keeping up with the zucchinis, but with three plants producing now we ended up with four extra. This was just enough for a batch of zucchini pickle. Here is our recipe:

1 kg small zucchini, finely sliced (it does look nicer if you use small/medium ones)
2 medium onions, finely sliced
1/4 cup salt
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tsp celery seeds (I don't have any, so left this out)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp dry mustard


Place zucchini and onion slices in a bowl. Cover with water and add salt. Stand for 1 hour. Drain.


Mix remaining ingredients in a pot and bring to the boil. Pour mixture over zucchini and onion. Stand for one hour.


Put in pan, bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes. Pack into hot sterilised jars and seal. Makes 6 cups. 

From Margaret Fulton's Encyclopaedia of Food & Cookery: The complete kitchen companion from A to Z

You get plenty of breaks while making this recipe! It is yummy. We are not really into pickle, so we only use it for burgers or salad rolls. We have friends who love it, though, so it is fun to be able to give it away!




Anonymous –   – (February 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM)  

They look delicious! I may try to make them. Blessings! Glenys

southeastcountrywife  – (February 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM)  

I think that is the exact same recipe that I have used, having gotten it from friends who used to make them for us. :)

Sherrin  – (February 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM)  

Hello Kristy,

I tried to comment on your blog but for some reason can't!

Here is what I was going to say on your spanking post:

I agree!

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment - it is fun to know that you also enjoy zucchini pickle! If you ever have a craving but don't want to make lots, just let me know and I can mail you a jar :).

I'm grateful to hear that you had a good 30th.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP