Related Posts with Thumbnails

First comes love, then comes . . .

“First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage”. For many years little girls have sung this rhyme while pushing their toy prams.

Yet is it true anymore? On August 5 The Sunday Tasmanian featured an article on falling marriage rates, titled “To tie the knot or not”.

Increasingly, young couples are choosing to live together or date for many years before marrying. A Relationships Australia advisor even suggested that marrying young may not be a good idea.

“. . . adolescence seems to stretch out longer these days,” Chris Street said.

“A lot of individuals wouldn’t be ready for marriage.”

So first comes love, then comes dating for years, then comes living together. Then comes marriage if you are really, really ready and you think it might be a worthwhile commitment.

It seems that the baby carriage is also an unpopular item these days. Immediately following marriage, most couples think of anything but babies. If they do dare to want them, they are told that it is a really good idea to put them off at least a year or two.

After marriage, travel, careers, home loans and “getting to know each other” must come before a baby carriage.

While many Christians choose to marry young, fewer choose the baby carriage over careers and getting to know each other. Most people I know wait about four years before having their first child.

Many well meaning, godly people have told Dave and I that we should also forgo the baby carriage for at least a year or two.

Ultimately though, each person and couple must make decisions that are in accordance with their beliefs about marriage, children, and birth control.

For me, waiting to have children simply because it is the “done thing” is not an option. I believe that the Bible is clear that fertility and children are a blessing, and that barrenness (which birth control deliberately creates) is a curse.

One way that God builds his kingdom is through his people bearing children and raising them to serve him. Right at the beginning of the first marriage, God told humankind to “be fruitful and multiply”.

Sex is not just about pleasure, although that is very important. It is equally about the privilege and responsibility of bringing children into the world.

When God created sex, he meant pleasure and procreation to go together. Human beings have compartmentalised this, enjoying one part of God’s good creation without feeling any obligation to accept the other.

Dave and I are both committed to these truths, and for us that means that we have chosen not to wait to have children.

This does not mean we are committed to never, ever using natural family planning (NFP) or barrier methods to space children or due to very serious circumstances. I have studied NFP and charted my fertility.

It just means that for us, welcoming children rather than preventing them is the default option. Very serious circumstances like severe illness, my chronic pain getting much worse, or extreme poverty (like, starvation level) could cause a re-think. We live in a fallen world, and the ideal is not always possible.

Unless a change of beliefs occurs though, wanting to have “time alone”, car size, not having bought a home yet, or the ordinary difficulties of pregnancy and child raising would not qualify as very serious circumstances.

So for us, the rhyme may just come true. We’ll have to just wait and see what God does. He may decide that we wait for a year or two, and we hope that we'll be at peace with that even though we're all excited up about the possibility of having a baby soon.

Children are gifts from God. We cannot presume to recieve them at our timing, and this is yet another reason why we've decided not to assume we can "wait" a year or four. If God does not bless us with children, we don't want the regret of knowing we once chose not to welcome them.

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage . . . ? We'll see.

ashley @ twentysixcats  – (August 8, 2007 at 11:05 PM)  

I totally understand where you are coming from, and I respect your decision. I applaud couples who do what they believe and are convicted, instead of following the crowd. I would rather see someone loving and welcoming children instead of the opposite reaction.

We have chosen to wait, and I'll briefly explain my reasons why.

For one, I am glad that I didn't have to go through the first year of marriage and deal with pregnancy hormones at the same time. Also, temporarily holding off on children allows me to stay at home with them when they do come, because that is so important to both of us. We have about 11 more months until our biggest loan is paid off, and then I'll be able to quit work without needing to get a part-time job to supplant our income. For us, it's not about "convenience" but rather taking responsibility and not defaulting on our loans, or sending our kid to a daycare. Those are our reasons.

Now I will say this: Paul and I would be thrilled if we got pregnant sooner than we "plan". We have spent our whole marriage so far considering that God may have different ideas for us! We have tried to make decisions in such a way that would take into the possibility of a Blessing appearing in 9 months. I would hope all couples do this, whether they wait or not. We both really feel like this is the direction the Lord is leading us.

Sherrin  – (August 9, 2007 at 9:42 AM)  

Ashley I am so grateful that you shared your thoughts and decisions on this. I tried to write my post in such a way that it would not come across as judgemental toward people who held different convictions/made different decisions, and your comment give me the opportunity to state more clearly that I am not saying this is always what everyone should choose! I would like for many more people to choose this option, and think it would be great if we built a culture where "waiting" became uncommon rather than the "done thing". However, I also understand that because of the society we live in there are many pressures that impact on people's decisions. We don't live in an ideal world.

I do believe that there are different ways to apply the Bible's truths. You have expressed it beautifully in the last paragraph: you know that God may have a different plan and you are considering that in your decision making. That is fantastic. I don't think that most young Christian couples have that attitide, but we can try and spread it :).

I am glad you have only 11 more months to go :). I pray that God will bless you with children then.

Susan  – (August 10, 2007 at 1:17 AM)  

I loved this post :-). Very nicely put, Sherrin, and I would say not put in a judgmental way, either. I'm sure you're getting excited!!! Not much longer until your marriage :-).

Sherrin  – (August 10, 2007 at 5:54 PM)  

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your encouraging note :). I'm glad that you're not waiting either, and I can't wait to find out why has a baby first :). Perhaps we'll be able to swap mothering tips someday soon.

I am getting married in a week!

Sherrin  – (August 10, 2007 at 5:55 PM)  

That should have read "who" has a baby first, not "why"!

Faith  – (August 24, 2007 at 1:52 AM)  

Dear young lady: i was not married until age 30 as I was waiting on the Lord's will and the husband HE wanted me to have. (and I praise Him for giving me the patience to wait for my awesome godly husband). SO...because i was already 30 with college loans to still pay off (teachers do not make high salaries) we knew it was right for us to wait. we prayed about it, and we just knew using birth control was what the Lord was telling us to do (he also had major loans to pay back. we both have Masters degrees although we didn't have to pay tuition for our Masters, we did have many loans from our undergrad years). Then when my first blessing arrived (she is now 14!) we knew we wanted to space them apart. it is very tiring having children in one's 30's. You seem very young. Please keep an open mind when it comes to Christians using birth control. Also, there are MANY couples who simply cannot have children and who simply don't want them. That is not a sin.What is a shame is the children I have taught in years past who were being abused by parents who were overwhelmed, never used birth control and were just horrible parents. and yes some were Christians! we did finally conceive our 2nd (and last) daughter in 1998 and i was 39. I praise God for vasectomies! I am 47 now, teach part time, and am fully enjoying being their mom. It is very tiring but well worth it. I cannot imagine life without my kids but i also cannot imagine still wondering if i am pregnant....trust me. Ovulation still does occur very regularly in many women past age 41. I hope you are still blogging when you are 40...i would love to hear your comments then about motherhood, birth control, et. You are young!

Sherrin  – (August 29, 2007 at 6:35 PM)  

Hello Faith,

thank you for taking the time to make a comment in relation to my post.

It is great that you chose to wait for your husband, and I am glad that God provided for you.

I do have to say, though, that I find the tone of your post very condescending. Surely it would be better to engage with my ideas rather than dismiss me because I am inexperienced? There are many women your age who would give a very different testimony regarding the worth of birth control. I read blogs of older women with many children who are very opposed to using birth control in most circumstances. Experience alone cannot be the basis on which we make decisions.

You state that after praying: "we just knew using birth control was what the Lord was telling us to do". Whilst I cannot say what you should or should not have done (judging individual people's cases is not the purpose of this blog or my post) I can say that I strongly believe the basis of our decisions should be God's word - not our feelings after praying about a matter.

It is very sad that many couples cannot have children. Those who choose not to have any children are in an entirely different category: I believe they have grave misunderstandings of the nature of marriage and God's intention for it.

It is very sad when people neglect their children. I used to believe such people "ought" to use birth control. However, this is actually confusing the issue. The existence of the children is not the problem, inadequte parenting is.

I hope to have gained much more wisdom by the age of 40, although I may be much too busy for blogging! You are right that my view of birth control may change. However, my sincere prayer is that any changes will come from a deeper understanding of God's word, the nature of marriage, and God's intentions for sexual union - not from experiencing the tiredness that comes with motherhood.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP