Related Posts with Thumbnails

Redecorating chairs

Here is one of Great-Grandma Ida's chairs, in the form in which I received it . . .


My Grandad recovered these chairs when he inherited them. I am sure the covers are very sophisticated, but they are not really our style! They would perhaps suit a formal sitting room.

So we decided to re-do the chairs with throw blankets and cushions . . .



I had originally thought of making fitted covers, but decided it was foolish to add another time consuming thing to my list of "things to do before the wedding". I am really happy with the results of our shopping trip. The chairs now look more inviting and casual, and their backs show up better (I am not sure what the effect on the back of the chairs is called, but I like it!). They are also more comfortable. Oh, and they no longer clash with the purple living room wall in the house we are renting! Perhaps best of all, this option is much cheaper than having the chairs recovered or buying new chairs. We love our "antique" chairs - they make us feel sophisticated :). It is nice to have them fixed up before Dave's many international guests arrive to stay with him before the wedding.

miller_schloss  – (July 26, 2007 at 4:39 PM)  

Hi, Sherrin! I read your "ready for children?" post a while back that someone had linked to, but I hadn't read any more of your blog till tonight. I really enjoyed looking through your archives. I work for Rhode Island Right to Life here in the US, and it looks like you and I are passionate about many of the same topics.

mike  – (July 26, 2007 at 7:51 PM)  

I dunno Sherrin I thought they were ok before the covers... ;)

Sherrin  – (July 26, 2007 at 9:00 PM)  

Hello Becky,

Thanks for dropping by! I am glad you've enjoyed exploring my blog. It is fantastic that you are working for RTL - perhaps we can be a mutual encouragement to one another in this.

Ah, Mike, you are so easy to please :). I don't want OK though - I want colour coordinated, stylish, etc . . . I don't know if I've achieved it, but I've tried!

The Borg –   – (July 26, 2007 at 9:39 PM)  

If your walls are purple, gold chairs will go quite nicely with them. Kind of Baroque style. That's what I'd do, with a touch of white, but that may not be your style.

Sherrin  – (July 27, 2007 at 3:04 PM)  

Hi Shiloh, you are quite right! That would be one way to go about it. I enjoy hearing others' ideas for decorating :).
The purple is just on one wall.

Dave and I don't really like the gold fabric, which is why we decided to cover it. I also prefer a more homey country style I'm glad we have only done temporary covers though, as that means we can choose to change our style to a more formal one another time if we want to.

It sounds like people prefer the chairs before my redecoration :(. Oh well, can't please everyone :).

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP