Related Posts with Thumbnails

A gospel-focused marriage

A lot has happened since I last posted on “Small Things”. Susan is engaged, so is Christina, and so am I. Christina and I are planning to be each others’ bridesmaids. Being engaged is at once exhilarating and stressful! The night Dave proposed, I lay in bed thinking “I am really going to be a wife, which means I will most likely really become a mother.” Roles I had thought about for years were suddenly near enough to be tangible.

When Dave and I were courting, more than one person asked me about whether or not we were in agreement about various matters. Two questions I remember went something like this: “Does Dave agree with you about having lots of babies?” and “Is Dave a creationist?” These are legitimate questions, considering my statements of belief related to these matters. It is important that Dave and I are in agreement, so we can walk together and not in opposition to one another.

Yet the questions left me uneasy. Agreement about
“the pill” or about biblical interpretation is not the primary definition of a good match. Knowing God, trusting in Jesus Christ, and focusing upon his death and resurrection are the foundations for a good marriage. My friends believe this. Yet their questions were a reminder of how easy it is for me to become over focused on secondary matters and ignore what is most important.

I strongly believe that couples should consider their viewpoints on various issues before marrying. Being in agreement is a necessity where practical and ethical decisions must be made. Any woman considering marriage needs to ask herself if she can submit to the biblical teaching and practical decisions of her chosen partner. If they are not in agreement this can be a hindrance to their Christian witness, their happiness, and to their focus upon the gospel.

This must be done, however, without losing sight of the most important things. The questions that should grip a woman considering marriage are “Does this man love God? Is he humbly willing to admit wrong and seek out what God has to say on a matter? Is he excited about what God has done for him in Christ? Does he love God’s word?” I don’t want secondary matters to define my marriage. I want a gospel-focused marriage. Everything about us should be infused with the joy of knowing Christ, and what he has done.

aus_chick  – (April 14, 2007 at 1:08 AM)  

Congratulations Sherrin! So exciting! I hope you have a fun time preparing for your big day, and lifetime ahead!!

Terri  – (April 14, 2007 at 5:17 AM)  

Congratulations, Sherrin! All of your questions to ask before marriage are spot-on. All those years when I would pray for my husband-to-be, I knew that I wanted a man like you described. And God blessed me with that man just a few short months ago! May He richly bless your engagement and forthcoming marriage!

ineedtoread  – (April 16, 2007 at 12:30 PM)  

MAN, I totally expected to come over here and find all the juicy info!!! How can you announce your engagement officially online with a "so am I"?!?! :) Come on, please tell us more.

However, I did like your thoughts. I have been debating similar ideas this year.

Lydia  – (April 21, 2007 at 1:30 PM)  

Amen! I loved this post. This pretty well sums up my philosophy of marriage parity. Thanks for pointing us back to the Gospel and reminding us that the Gospel must be what is paramount in a Christian marriage.

And I am so happy for your recent courtship leading to a godly marriage. I meant to reply to your e-mail but I never seemed to get that far. :( May God's richest blessings be upon you and Dave in your years together. :)

I've been having lots of conversations about marriage lately with my folks and a few friends since reading, "Getting Serious About Getting Married." Much to ponder and pour over.

~Lydia

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP