Related Posts with Thumbnails

The Lenten Season

This year I have decided to observe Lent. This is a first for me. My family has no history of acknowledging the Lenten season. Noel Piper's book Treasuring God in Our Traditions gave me the idea of using the weeks before Easter to focus upon God.

Noel says that Lent can provide several weeks of considering God's work in our lives through Jesus. She explains it in this way: "Tradtionally, Lent is a season of sober, realistic reflection on our own lives and our need for a Savior. It is a time for turning away from anything that has kept us from God and for turning or returning to him. It is a time to pray that God will renew our love for him and our dependence on him."

Noel suggests that it can be helpful to have some kind of fast, from a food or an activity. I have decided that during the Lenten and Easter season I will have a break from my blog. I will still be moderating comments, but I will not be making any more posts until after Easter. Noel points out that fasting is "not just turning away from something for a while, but it is also turning toward God." She suggests that the extra time "added" to our lives through fasting can be used for various God-centered activities such as:

  • Considering the depth of our sin and the heights of God's love for us in Christ.
  • Remembering Jesus' wilderness temptation and considering our own temptations
  • Praying for people we find difficult, or for the salvation of a family member

My life at this time is very full. I have many new circumstances to adjust to, some of which are difficult. The Diploma of Education I am completing has a heavy work load. Dave and I are getting used to having a long distance relationship, rather than seeing a lot of one another. I am trying to work out how to glorify God in the midst of this. For that purpose I need time with God to praise him, concentrate on his character and works, repent of sin and seek transformation.

I also need God's help to sort out my priorities in relation to family, church, domestic concerns, study and prayer. At this time, I am sure that blogging is not at the top of the list of God's priorities for me. I hope that I will come back to blogging refreshed and able to have a clearer focus in relation to what God wants me to achieve through my blog. May God bless you with a deeper understanding of his character this Easter.

John Dekker  – (March 5, 2007 at 11:41 PM)  

"Isn't that Roman Catholic?"

Good on you, Sherrin - this sounds like a great idea.

Including Easter in the fast doesn't sound right, though.

Anonymous –   – (March 6, 2007 at 9:28 AM)  

Does this mean you will also be eating fish on Fridays?

Keziah  – (March 6, 2007 at 1:36 PM)  

We'll miss you but I can definitely see the reasons for a rest from blogging with everything else that is going on in your life at the moment. I look forward to your return when you tell us all that you have learnt over this time.

(On night shift, so actually wake at the same time as you for once!)

Sherrin  – (March 6, 2007 at 3:02 PM)  

Noel Piper is a Baptist, and she never mentions fish in relation to Lent. I am thankful for that, because I gag on fish!

You are right, John, that fasting during Easter doesn't sound right. However, I've decided on my little plan now and I'd better not change it!

Thanks Keziah. I hope to still check your blog while I am having a rest from mine.

ineedtoread  – (March 6, 2007 at 4:35 PM)  

So I'm gathering you would fully recommend the book by Piper? It sounds interesting and I just might scrounge around for it!

Sherrin  – (March 6, 2007 at 5:43 PM)  

I do recommend the book, as it gives ideas for creating traditions that focus on God.

I asked for mine at Koorong after I heard positive reports about it on the Girltalk blog. I think I had to order it, and it cost about $22.

The Borg –   – (March 11, 2007 at 10:06 PM)  

You picked your moment to (temporarily) quit blogging. ;)

Congrats!

Sherrin  – (March 12, 2007 at 5:14 PM)  

Yes, I didn't know I was going to get engaged during my break! I am sure the blogging world can wait for all the details.

Keziah  – (March 12, 2007 at 7:05 PM)  

Just read the news at Mike's blog. Congratulations to you both! We'll be waiting for all the details...

:-)

Robert  – (March 17, 2007 at 7:54 PM)  

Congratulations on your engagement.

Kimi Harris –   – (March 25, 2007 at 2:57 AM)  

I just found out about your engagement on Susan's site. Congrats!!!!! How exciting!

Homemanager  – (March 30, 2007 at 12:08 AM)  

Sherrin!
So very happy for you and Dave! Congratulations! Many, many blessings to You!
Love,
Karen

Susan  – (April 10, 2007 at 9:45 PM)  

*taps fingers impatiently* Easter is officially over, and we need more details! I want to know about your engagement :-). How did Dave propose? I posted my story, so you have to post yours :-).

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP