Related Posts with Thumbnails

A time to stop blogging regularly

It is a comfort to know that God has created a time for everything, as Ecclesiastes 3 expresses so beautifully.

 To everything there is a season,

      A time for every purpose under heaven:
       A time to be born,
And a time to die;
      A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;
       A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
      A time to break down,
And a time to build up . . .
      A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing . . .
      A time to keep,
And a time to throw away . . .
      A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak . . .

Maybe God had busy mummies in mind when he inspired the writer of these verses! There is a time for everything, but not all at once. A couple of months ago, I realised that one person working full time and another person combining chronic pain and motherhood were going to have a hard time keeping up with two babies, a large vegetable garden and two lots of cloth nappies! The baskets of washing were mounting, and Dave doing a pile of dishes in the evening was becoming a regular occurrence (we don't have a dishwasher). It has been a huge blessing that God has provided a couple of teen girls who are willing to work cheerfully in our home. We employ each girl once a week after school for a couple of hours and it eases the workload.


Still, my opportunities to concentrate when I have two hands free are limited and unpredictable. There are many things I would love to do with that time. Often I will begin to imagine what I am going to do with these quiet moments (think sleep, Zulu, cross stitch, patchwork, scrapbooking, blog, emails, phone calls, volunteering for Choices of Life, tummy exercises, sorting papers, finding songs and activities to do as a family, and on it goes) then I'll hear a "WAAAAA" that cannot be ignored! At times I have been frustrated, self-pitying, and even angry. Writing praise points at the end of the day has been a great way to recharge my attitude. Often the praise list took up a page or more! This is much more motivating than writing a to-do list! I aim to love the little years, and part of that is being content with fewer quiet pursuits. This is not the time to blog regularly.



"The Drew Patch" will remain online and I will post our yearly September newsletter here, plus some birthday pictures over the course of the year. Our newsletters are written each year after our wedding anniversary, August 18. I have counted it a privilege to be part of the world of online encouragement, especially with this template designed by Hannah of Graceful Designs. I want out lives online to be a testimony to the abundant grace of God, so that anyone who drop by will see His work in our lives. It is God who has answered my mother's prayers in surprising ways, shown me his mercy in suffering, answered my prayers for a husband and given us the happiest of wedding days, revealed to us the gospel which is God's answer to racism and all other sin, made us passionate about avoiding a wasted life, and gives me the strength each day to keep trying to be a fearless mother.


As I have watched my babies grow, and the garden's summer beauty fade, I have felt sorry that Mercy's chubby hands will thin out and soon the corn plot will be empty. Part of me wants to hold onto the baby fat. God has reminded me that He gives in abundance. My tiny baby will grow up, but there will be other babies even if not my own. The tomatoes will die off, but there will be another year. I will not blog regularly right now, but there will be other opportunities to share and to write, and lots of wonderful blogs to read. Even when God does take all our earthly blessings, it is only to give us something better! Better than a baby's laughter, a sweet home grown corn cob, and the timely encouragement of a friend, yet somehow the fulfillment of all that is good here on earth. God first gives us Christ, and then He gives us all good gifts!


Thanks for reading, commenting, and praying!

Felicity –   – (April 16, 2011 at 8:20 PM)  

Thanks for your honesty in this post and for the reminder that there is a season for everything but not all at the same time! I definitely needed to hear that one as I juggle letting go of the past and preparing for a new baby.
Reading your blog has been a wonderful time each weekend, I wish you and your family al the best as you can put some of the time you had previous blogged and answered comments into your dreams and tending to your fantastic children.
Gods Blessings for all that the future holds :-)

Susan  – (April 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM)  

I will miss your posts, Sherrin! I was always encouraged and edified by them :-). I love seeing your home and your garden. But I'm glad you are picking the better thing. Blessings!

Faith  – (April 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM)  

Oh I will miss you!!! but...I love all your thots here and I often have felt like you do....my time right now is being the mom a a busy preteen and teen who is going off to college in August....the time really goes by fast...and I miss their "babyfat", too :)
Enjoy the moments that the Lord gives you, Sherrin....these babies are so precious....just think of our jobs as Moms and what a privelage it is to serve Him with these wonderful gifts He has bestowed on us! It is the most important role we will ever play.....many blessings to you!!

Mel Gaebler –   – (April 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM)  

Hi Sherrin
I have enjoyed dropping in from time to time to read your blog too.
I can completely understand what you have said in your post. As wisdom would dictate, you have chosen to sacrifice something you enjoy for your family - a mothers constant calling!
God bless

Sherrin  – (April 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM)  

Thank you for your comments! You are the reason I've been blogging so long. It has always been motivating to know that I may be able to encourage even one person, perhaps even someone I never know about! Every person who has commented and prayed has also encouraged and helped me. Faithful readers like you are also the reason why I will continue to post a few times a year so you can catch up on our family if you want to do so (and I'll pop a garden picture or two in as well)! I prayed about it for a couple of weeks before deciding to stop blogging regularly.

The last five nights Mercy has gone to bed peacefully at 7 - 7.30pm for the first time in her life! Previously it has been nine or after, despite our best efforts. So maybe soon I will even have some predictable time to do quiet things. After recent months I see this time as more of a gift than ever.

Tallmoores  – (April 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM)  

Hi Sherrin.
It was lovely seeing you, Dave and your little ones last week! We hope you had a great time for the rest of your holiday and enjoyed Australia Zoo. A very poignant post, but very true and a good perspective that there are more blessings to follow even the most blessed times. And often the blessings are to be found in the 'ordinary, routine' especially where lovely little ones are concerned. The good news is that the babyfat is replaced by precious, increasingly interactive people who develop their own ideas, and enter into ever more complex relationship with their parents and the world. Blessings to your family! Love Gayle and the Moores.

Sherrin  – (April 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM)  

Thank you, Gayle! We loved visiting you and we are so glad we made the effort. We enjoyed your children also. They are a reminder of what you have share here about the little ones going onto more lovely stages!

Hannah  – (April 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM)  

Sherrin, you are in a blessed season of life. I can certainly understand why it's time to slow down the blogging part of it. Not only did I love working with you on the header graphics (with its *cute* subject), I've always enjoyed your posts here, from the luscious gardening and food descriptions to the thoughtful posts as a new mother raising your young children for the Lord. We'll miss you!

Deb  – (April 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM)  

Hi Sherrin ~ I've always loved reading your blog so much! I've enjoyed the friendship we share even more--even though the distance between us is great. I'll truly miss your posts but will look forward to reading what the Lord is doing in your family in the future! Keep in touch!

Anna  – (April 20, 2011 at 8:35 AM)  

Sherrin, I was,selfishly, so sad to hear that you were giving up blogging too. I've been blessed by your posts many times over and I'm glad to hear that you'll post here and there throughout the year. I can completely relate to your decision. Watching two, or more, kids during the day has me beat by the end (and they go home at night!). I pray that the Lord will continue to bless you with quiet times that will refresh you for your work for Him and your family. :)

Sherrin  – (April 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM)  

I feel very blessed to have you as my blogging friends :). Thanks for commenting to let me know that you have enjoyed my posts and will miss them. Thank you also for your prayers, Anna.I am saying one for you right now also!

Kelly-Anne  – (May 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM)  

Hi Sherrin, before you go I'd like to award you! PLease visit my blog for more info! http://kelly-annesblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/t-oday-sarah-from-walking-in-narrow-way.html

Love
Kelly-Anne

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP