Related Posts with Thumbnails

All will be burnt

The last couple of days have provided me with much food for thought about what is truly important. Yesterday I was shocked to hear that a large department store in Hobart, Tasmania's largest city, had burnt down. The store is currently being demolished, as this article reports. I had a gift registry at Myer for my wedding, so I've spent a lot of time there. I recently went back to purchase a present for my brother's wedding soon, as he has a registry there as well. I had ordered and paid for the present, and just had to pick it up. If I had not have gone on Thursday, it would have burnt up and I would have lost a significant amount of money. My first thought when hearing about the fire was "Oh no, imagine all those people who have things on layby or who have registries there".

Soon after, however, I began to think about the way the Myer fire is a reminder of things to come. The beautiful things at Myer could not be protected from the fire. Neither can the many beautiful things that fill my home, gifts from kind friends and relatives. Neither can my quilt that I spent years creating, or my computer with important information on it. Ultimately, the Bible tells us that all things will be burnt up. One day . . .

"the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burnt up" (1 Peter 3:10).
What will last? Thankfully, God does not leave us wondering. Throughout the scriptures God teaches us that loving him and loving others are investments that last for eternity. Since physical things will not last, God tells us to use them in the right way: as tools to love and serve others.

"Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ourght you to be, in holy conduct and godliness" 1 Peter 3:11

Jonny  – (September 29, 2007 at 4:08 PM)  

I think the wedding registry and other household items were on the 1st or 2nd floor of the Murry street building, which was not burnt.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP