Related Posts with Thumbnails

Silverbeet with poached eggs

This morning we had a delicious breakfast. I copied some ideas from breakfast with friends a couple of weeks ago. I would not have thought of having silverbeet for breakfast but it was so delicious we decided it had to be replicated! This morning I steamed our few silverbeet leaves from our one plant (sliced finely), added some cream, salt, pepper and parmesan, and served it with poached eggs and toast. Surprisingly delicious, and Nate kept asking for more! In future years I hope to grow more silverbeet even in summer.

We poached eggs using a method a friend told me, where you break each egg into a separate dish before dropping them to the boiling water. This prevents the dripping egg from fixing to the pan like it does if you crack them against its side when it is hot. We may have poached eggs more often now since this makes washing up much easier!







The above picture is from last week when we had a yummy pie using garden vegetables (beans, carrots, potatoes) in a cheese sauce. The last two weeks have been busy with planting and welcoming guests, so I haven't had much time for Saturday's Backyard Bounty posts! Still, I hope you've enjoyed this short glimpse into just a couple of the things we've been able to do with our produce. In the past two weeks I have sowed seed for turnips, radish, carrots, cauliflower, lettuce, kale, silverbeet and spring onion.
Posted by Picasa

Deb  – (February 6, 2011 at 1:59 AM)  

Hi Sherrin ~ I just looked up "silverbeet" in wikipedia to see what it is...another name for swiss chard. Okay, now I can picture how it would be good with your morning eggs! :) It sounds like you have been busy with your garden planting--I hope you have a bumper crop!

Faith  – (February 6, 2011 at 9:58 AM)  

That sounds good.....I also had to look up silverbeet! I see Swiss Chard often at Fresh Market but never know what to do with it....perhaps I'll try your idea!!

Sherrin  – (February 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM)  

I should include the alternate name in my posts! I am glad you easily found the answer! I have more ideas for what to do with swiss chard under the label "silverbeet and apinach" (which appears at the top of this post). Happy eating!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP