Related Posts with Thumbnails

Preserving loquats



Pictured are the results of two sessions of loquat bottling. My Dad has two loquat trees that produce too much fruit for their needs, especially as they compete with cherries at this time of year! We harvested two bucketfuls and most of them are now preserved. Our friends the Baehrs helped us last night. Preserving bees are the best! It is great to work with others. Today I worked on the remaining bucket on my own, and found the process less arduous than I expected. This year we left on most of the skins. These are tough but will be softer with cooking. Loquats have lots of pits (those pictured are a fraction of what was removed), and right now I'm nursing a sore thumb as a result of pitting them. My fingers are thanking me for choosing not to peel them all! Those who have preserved fruit before will know the satisfaction that looking at the finished product brings.

thorney  – (January 3, 2010 at 5:50 PM)  

I love to can fruit and make jam. We made so much strawberry jam this year I'm still passing it out to anyone who comes over to our house. I sent a case of it home with my son to pass out to all of his friends too. It's fun to can and to share it.

Mrs Glenys Hicks  – (January 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM)  

Sherrin, what do they taste like and what ways do you serve them? Blessings!

Yvonne  – (January 16, 2010 at 12:10 PM)  

preserving bees - sounds great, i'd love to join in sometime!

willson  – (January 19, 2010 at 5:03 AM)  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Teresa Brown  – (April 27, 2010 at 7:40 AM)  

How do you preserve loquats?
Thanks & God Bless.
Teresa

Sherrin  – (April 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM)  

Hello Teresa,

I use the hot water bath method . . .

http://thedrewpatch.blogspot.com/2010/03/bottling-successfully-with-water-bath.html

You can add sugar to taste if you want to, but it is not really necessary.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP