Related Posts with Thumbnails

Frugality: Shop Second Hand

Since last year I have rediscovered the joys of second hand shopping! When I first visited the school where I now work, it was exciting to discover that there is a second hand store in the same building as the school. I have been impressed with the good quality clothes available at second hand stores. I like many of them better than those I bought new! People often comment that they like my skirt or shirt, and I respond that "Second hand stores are great places!". Someone also told me that one lady in her street only buys second hand clothes, yet she is the best dressed person in the street!

I have a small clothing budget. If I stay within the budget it takes at least a month or two to save up for a new item of clothing. With second hand shopping, I can buy many more clothes and stay within the budget. This leaves more money to buy items I don't want to buy second hand (underwear comes to mind!). Another benefit is that if you are at all into "comfort buying", at least it won't put you out of pocket too much. You can satisfy the impulse to buy something to make yourself feel better, without feeling too guilty! I am much less into comfort buying than I once was, but there is still the occasional splurge.

Do you have any second hand shopping tips/experiences you can share?




In this picture, Esther is wearing a second hand dress, and I am wearing my "new" second hand skirt which I purchased last week.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP