Related Posts with Thumbnails

He'll not forget His little ones

One of my greatest pleasures this term has been teaching the children Christian songs. I did not do it last term, but I wish I had! The joy of watching their enthusiasm for singing surpasses even the enjoyment of hearing their prayers. I also believe it is very beneficial for them to learn songs that may stick with them for the rest of their lives. It continually amazes me that I have taught anyone to sing, since I do not sing well. I less self conscious amongst the children, as they don't have the experience to realise that my singing skills are not the best!

One of the songs I've taught in the last couple of weeks is God Sees the Little Sparrow Fall. They love it, and it is a great reminder for me as well.

God sees the little sparrow fall,
It meets his tender view;
If God so loves the little birds,
I know he loves me too.

(Chorus)
He loves me too,
He loves me too,
I know he loves me too;
Because He loves the little things
I know he loves me too.

He paints the lily of the field,
Perfumes each lily bell;
If He so loves the little flowers,
I know He loves me well.

Chorus

God made the little birds and flowers,
And all things large and small,
He'll not forget His little ones,
I know He loves them all.

Chorus

During one of our singing times yesterday, the children began discussing their favourite songs. One five year old announced that "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" is his favourite, because "I trust in Jesus, I do." Following this, other children eagerly volunteered similar statements. This reminded me of some of the times I have talked to the children about how we get to heaven. When I talk to them about how Jesus died to take the punishment for our wrong doing, and we need to believe in Him, they eagerly say things like "I believe that Jesus died for my sins, I do."

Some Christians dismiss children's professions of faith, assuming that they are not old enough to "decide". They speak as though there is an age at which someone is "old enough to be a Christian". I find such attitudes disturbing. Christ made the faith of children an example to us. He did not see it as a less sure or valid faith.

While it is true that I should not assume these children are definitely saved, that is just as true of any professing Christian whom I meet. We only know for sure that someone was saved if they persevere in Christ. As Jesus said, "Therefore, by their fruits you will know them" (Matthew 7:20). Saying the right things does not necessarily indicate that a person's heart has been changed. We are saved by grace, through faith (Eph. 2:8), and the sign of that grace is works done out of love for our Saviour.

While a profession is not a sure sign of salvation, I do believe it is a sign of God's work in a person's life. It is a sign of grace. God's grace to these children is evident in the fact that their families have chosen to place them in a Christian school where they are taught of God's love each day.

As I look at the excited faces of the children in my class, I cannot help but wonder where they will be in 15 years time. Some of them come from family backgrounds that are plauged with severe problems. As I went for a walk with them yesterday I held their little hands hands, each one so different. I thought of John Dekker's beautiful post on hands and I thought of the future of these children. We walked together, a long line of children holding hands. As they walked, they praised God with the songs I had taught them. The sound was a beautiful one to me.

I do not know whether or not God has yet chosen to save these little ones. I do not know if their words reflect the new creation in their souls, or simply a desire to please their beloved teachers and parents. Yet I do know that God has his hand upon them. As Nicole Whitacre wrote about the other end of life, God does not forget. He hears their songs, joy, prayers, and professions of love for him. He'll not forget His little ones, for I know He loves them well.

robert  – (May 3, 2010 at 11:53 PM)  

Thanks for posting the lovely children's hymn by Maria Straub. Its message is a powerful one for us as adults, too.

And if you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP